In a recent survey conducted by Brand Perfect, 29% of mobile shoppers exited online stores/apps due to poor design. It turns out that design that looks good isn’t always that good for conversions. That’s a sad thing because designers put so much effort into creating websites. Are they wasting their time? Are those designs going be worthless with the latest web design trends around? Let’s find out.
Remember That Phrase about First Impressions?
Design creates the first impression about a brand. The first ever thoughts people will have about your brand depends on the design. While minimalist design avoids frills, helps users focus on the key aspects and thereby improves conversions, it tends to eliminate a lot, which is often more harmful than beneficial. In this post, we’ve discussed some trends that can have an adverse effect on your conversions when the design isn’t used the way it should be.
1. Hero Images Are Tricky – Poorly Using Them Could Increase Bounce Rate
What’s a hero image? A hero image is one that spans across an entire home page. Many websites put no content on hero images which is not such a good idea. Take this image for instance: Without compelling content, aesthetics can only do so much! Without compelling content, the image alone can’t take visitors to go beyond the home page.
2. Large Images Can Slow Down Your Website
If you are using or planning to use a large image on your site, bear in mind that it can affect the website loading speed. Here’s a fact, a research by Econsultancy shows that 38% of online shoppers leave from websites that take more than 10 seconds to load. Smaller images are one of the key aspects of conversion focused web design. The smaller the image file, the faster a website will load.
3. Form Fields – How Many Is Too Many?
No one has the time or patience to fill out extensive forms. Web designers understand that and in order to shorten those forms, some websites have reduced the number of fields to 1, where the visitor has to put in their email address. Like this one:
The problem with this is, not knowing the name of the person signing up can make it difficult to send personalised emails in the future. And if an email doesn’t even address the recipient with their first name, then it becomes impersonal and that reduces click-through rates.
Testing will help you understand the limit to which your audience is willing to provide their information on a form. Plan your personalised emails in advance, then design forms accordingly (meaning, increase/decrease the number of fields in your forms).
4. Typography Serves More Purposes That Just Looking Beautiful
The content should be easy to read in order for conversions to happen. With fewer elements on a minimalist site, styles of typography get more focus and that sometimes make it difficult for visitors to read the content. This defeats the main purpose of typography which is to make the text easy to read. When content is difficult to read, visitors won’t stay on a website for long. Thin typefaces are misused more often than not. They should never be used for small text or with muted colours because then the text will be hard to read. The best way to use thin typefaces is to keep them to headlines and sub-heads.
5. What about the Hamburger Menu?
The hamburger menu is no longer restricted to mobile sites. The latest web design styles have them coming to more and more desktop websites. The menu options are hidden behind an icon on which visitors have to click to see the options.
On desktop websites where there is more real estate than mobile devices, making people click on another button to explore the site further is not really conversion centered design. Instead, let them scan the entire website. Keep in mind that the less people have to do on your site, the more they are likely to stick around.
When you are reviewing a site design, think about whether it will offer a good user experience. Always keep testing to see what works and what doesn’t.
July 4 , 2016
Tags : cheap web design , Creative Web Design , custom web design , Professional web design company , professional web design services , Text Editors For Web Designers , web design services , Web designing tips
Why Hire Us?
- Awarded with "Fastest growing Indian company excellence award" at 8th International Achievers Conference at Bangkok, Thailand.
- Featured as the "Company of the Month" in December 2016 in India's premier IT magazine, Silicon India having significant circulation in US and in India.
- Featured among the "20 most promising Digital Marketing Solution Providers in India in 2016" in the prestigious entrepreneur magazine in India
- ISO 9001:2008 Certified & RAR+ Recommended Company
- Around 200+ In-house Employee and 800+ Years Of Collective Experience
- 1500+ Digital Projects Delivered
- Savings of up to 50% on your project cost
- Assured monthly work production of 160 hours Guaranteed
- Total Project Management Control
- 9000 sq. ft. State-of-the-art Facilities & Infrastructure
- Work with Your OWN remote team
- 24x7 Availability when required
- We Sign NDA for Confidentiality, All Rights Are Owned By You
- Profitable Since Inception. US$ 2Million turnover
Projects VS DRM!
This is a Detailed Breakdown of the Advantages that the Dedicated Resource Model vis-à-vis the Conservative Project Model. Read More...