Magmi is a Magento Mass Importer developed as a magento DATABASE client and operates directly in SQL. It is the result of a thorough analysis of the Magento Database. It is not a Magento extension and not to be confused with one.
If you have any familiarity with the usage of Magmi, then you might also have an idea of how powerful a tool it can be when it comes to importing complex products based on a spreadsheet. Setting up Magmi manually could be tricky. But you can actually make it easier for you to install – by getting the free installer from https://sourceforge.net/projects/magmi
After you get the installer package, you’ll need an FTP client and an FTP account. Here’s an installation guide which has been put together using FileZilla and the aforementioned Magmi installation package.
- Once you’ve downloaded the Magmi directory, put this into Head to your Magento directory. In my case, it will be: /var/www/magento/magmi-file
- Make sure that the permissions on the directory allows you to create new files and directories.
- Go to your Magento on your browser, then add the URL to the web interface for Magmi to it. Here it is: http://www.magento.local/magmi- file /magmi/web/magmi.php
- It’ll take you to the page on which Magmi loads different profiles for different scenarios such as Product Import, Image Import, Product Stock Update etc.
- First, you need to open FileZilla and select your website which will appear on the top left corner.
- Then you’ll have to move the Magmi Installer from your desktop to your site directory. Open the Magmi installer in your FTP client, then drag and drop the 2 folders in your in your Magmi installer to your website’s root directory and not inside a folder.
Drag and drop the 2 files across the way it is shown by the red arrow.
- When you’re finished uploading the files, open your web browser and go to this link: http://yourdomainname.com/magmi-importer/web/installation/ for instance, if your site directory is http://xyz.com then you will need to type http://xyz.com/magmiimporter/ web/installation
Go through the licence agreement, then check the “I agree to the licenses” box and then click on “continue”. You will be shown a few warning messages. Here’s where the 3rd party installer box proves to be effective.
Return to your FTP client. Open the folder “Magmi Installer” in your web directory. Right-click on the “conf” folder inside the Magmi installer folder and select the file permissions. Now change the numeric value to 777 and check the box named “recurse into subdirectories”. Repeat the process for both the web folder and plugins folder. But make sure to not check the “recurse into subdirectories” box.
Inside the web folder, you will find a file with the name “login.php”. Right click onto the file and change the numeric value once again to 777. When you have completed all these, return to your browser and refresh the page. You will notice that all the errors have been erased from it. Now, click the “continue” button on the bottom right corner of the page.
You will be taken to a screen with your login and database detail confirmation. Note that this is an additional feature from this custom installation script which adds another layer of security to your Magmi. Create a login name and password and save those somewhere safe as those are crucial information which will be difficult to change in case they are lost. Select “install” at the bottom right corner of the page.
Magmi Is By Far the Best Way to Import Products into Magento
If there’s one thing that’s still very restrictive in Magento, it’s the import facility. If you have tried to import products through the Magento Dataflow profiles before, you are surely familiar with the kind of problems it poses.
- Importing multiple images is impossible (for gallery etc.)
- Importing multiple categories is impossible
- Importing cross-up sells and related items is impossible
- It’s impossible to include tiered pricing (this depends upon customer group)
Thankfully, all these problems can be solved with Magmi. Here’s the homepage of Magmi: http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/magmi/index.php
Go through the documents carefully. It might look a bit intimidating at first but once you get the hang of it, life will become so much easier. If you need to import from CSV, that can be done easily as well. If you want to create categories on the move and activate all of them at once, you can do that too!
Despite all this, Magmi is still a little-used tool. Let’s hope that this post will change things along the lines of:
- Increasing awareness about Magmi – it surely isn’t getting the attention it deserves
- Make importing to Magento convenient for you
- Inspire people to support Magmi
How It Works
You can create a CSV with your preferred type of structure and overcome the issues mentioned above. However, the interface could take a while to get used to. If you invest some time into reading the documents, you will understand how you can import almost everything.
For instance, take a look at this CSV format:
When you are creating a CSV for Magmi Import, you need to make sure that you can enclose all the valuables in double quotes. Now, if you’re using Excel, this can’t be saved to CSV, but if you’re using OpenOffice, it can be. From Menu, choose File, then Save As, then choose “Edit Filter Settings” and click on “Save”. Then select “Keep Current Format”. While doing it, make sure that the ‘Quote all text cells’ is selected.
As you may have noticed, there are a few things that can’t easily be done with Magento, such as product options and gallery images. These things are unbelievably easy to do with Magmi. Another great feature of Magmi is that it allows you to specify the categories that you want your products to belong to, similar to this in your CSV.
This will not only put the product in two categories, it will create them on import if they don’t exist already.
You can create a new spreadsheet with the SKU present. You can see how the attribute naming convention works in Magmi by opening the sample file that has been provided above. It would look like this:
Here, the top row stands for attributes in Magento. Red stands for the attributes that you must have when you import a product into Magento. It is recommended to keep the green ones present when importing any product into Magento. To ensure a smooth and successful import process, you should take the time to understand how the values and attributes are presented.
- As soon as your spreadsheet is prepared, save it like this “text.csv”
- Open FileZilla and connect it to your server. You are looking for the /var folder in your web root directory and locate the import folder inside it. This is where you must put your spreadsheet file into. Now all you have to do is drag and drop that .csv file from your computer to this FileZilla folder.
- Log in to Magmi in your web browser. Then go to the configuration page. There should be an option under the import tab named “back to configuration page”. Go to configuration page>data sources section, you should come across a “file to import” with a dropdown option next to it. There, you shouldn’t have any problem with selecting the .csv file that you had uploaded via your FileZilla earlier.
If it does not show up there, then you just need to refresh your browser until it shows up.
- Look at the 3rd option at the top of this page. Change the mode to this “create items only skip existing one” (We are doing this because we want to import a presently nonexistent product on Magento). To begin importing your products, click on “run to import”.
You have now successfully imported a product into Magento through Magmi. The product should be visible to you now.
These were some of the ways we use Magmi to make things easier for us. The code that you saw on this post was the beginning of what’s known as “Auto Importer”, which is a custom module in Magento. It helps our clients to import products with ease, and with the assurance that everything will work the way it should. We hope that you’ve found the information on this post to be useful enough to help you visualise and act differently.
May 6 , 2016
This entry was posted in Magento
Why Hire Us?
- Awarded with "Fastest growing Indian company excellence award" at 8th International Achievers Conference at Bangkok, Thailand.
- Featured as the "Company of the Month" in December 2016 in India's premier IT magazine, Silicon India having significant circulation in US and in India.
- Featured among the "20 most promising Digital Marketing Solution Providers in India in 2016" in the prestigious entrepreneur magazine in India
- ISO 9001:2008 Certified & RAR+ Recommended Company
- Around 200+ In-house Employee and 800+ Years Of Collective Experience
- 1500+ Digital Projects Delivered
- Savings of up to 50% on your project cost
- Assured monthly work production of 160 hours Guaranteed
- Total Project Management Control
- 9000 sq. ft. State-of-the-art Facilities & Infrastructure
- Work with Your OWN remote team
- 24x7 Availability when required
- We Sign NDA for Confidentiality, All Rights Are Owned By You
- Profitable Since Inception. US$ 2Million turnover
Projects VS DRM!
This is a Detailed Breakdown of the Advantages that the Dedicated Resource Model vis-à-vis the Conservative Project Model. Read More...