Yesterday’s and the day before yesterday’s earthquakes showed that Twitter actually moves faster than seismic waves. It also showed that hard drives are very susceptible to vibrations.
Usually, the only event when servers move is during an earthquake. During an earthquake, the read/write heads go beyond their position and accelerometers rush in to prevent loss of data. Which results in the data becoming very difficult to access.
Even a missing screw inside a mounting bracket can trigger enough vibration to kick off intermittent spikes in the access time. So, if you are someone who needs to access the hard drive all the time, make sure it’s mounted using anti-vibration grommets.
What if an earthquake strikes when you are asleep? Or away? How will you ensure your computer is safe? Follow these tips to never let your computer and hard drive be affected by earthquakes.Invest In A Shock-Proof Backup Drive
These days, shock-proof backup hard drives are available in the market. In fact, the shock-proof ability of one of these drives was tested on the BBC where it was tied to a moving car. The disk stayed safe even after bumping on the street for hundreds of metres. That makes them hard enough to withstand the shock of earthquakes.
External drives are quite affordable these days. A few thousand rupees is all it takes to buy a terabyte of storage that can be unplugged in seconds in the event of an earthquake.Use An Online Backup Service
Computer hardware is easily replaceable. Data isn’t. The fact that there are online data storage services available is a boon to all computer users. Use one that suits your needs best or choose a syncing service wherein your data is automatically backed up can give you the peace of mind you need.Buy A Non-slip Shelf/Drawer Liner
In the unfortunate event of an earthquake, your CD and DVD collection can be safe if you keep the drawer/shelf safe with a non-slip drawer/shelf liner.Buy A UPS
A UPS or uninterrupted power supply can keep your computer running when the electric supply fails. It helps you save your work and take a backup to a portable hard drive and it even charges your phone. Not only that, it also conditions your power supply. So, it’s a pretty nifty investment.
So, these are things to do to safeguard your computer hard drive from the damage that an earthquake can do. But nothing is more important than a human life. So even if you feel a light tremor under your feet, it’s better to run to a safe place outside instead of trying to save your data.
April 28 , 2015
Why Hire Us?
- Awarded with "Fastest growing Indian company excellence award" at 8th International Achievers Conference at Bangkok, Thailand.
- Featured as the "Company of the Month" in December 2016 in India's premier IT magazine, Silicon India having significant circulation in US and in India.
- Featured among the "20 most promising Digital Marketing Solution Providers in India in 2016" in the prestigious entrepreneur magazine in India
- ISO 9001:2008 Certified & RAR+ Recommended Company
- Around 200+ In-house Employee and 800+ Years Of Collective Experience
- 1500+ Digital Projects Delivered
- Savings of up to 50% on your project cost
- Assured monthly work production of 160 hours Guaranteed
- Total Project Management Control
- 9000 sq. ft. State-of-the-art Facilities & Infrastructure
- Work with Your OWN remote team
- 24x7 Availability when required
- We Sign NDA for Confidentiality, All Rights Are Owned By You
- Profitable Since Inception. US$ 2Million turnover
Projects VS DRM!
This is a Detailed Breakdown of the Advantages that the Dedicated Resource Model vis-à-vis the Conservative Project Model. Read More...